Saturday 27 July 2013

Aloo Bonda

During my school days I used love the fried snacks when I come back from school.
But now I don't like it as much I used to when I was little, might be because  I have become a bit more conscious of health and also I don't reuse the oil once used.
I have to throw, so I completely avoid frying.
But my little daughter loves fried stuff, so sometimes I make it for her.
I do fried stuff only when I have guests, so that it will be shared with the guests and don't end up eating a lot more of them.
Though this bonda has potato stuffing, yet completely different from vada pav, vada stuffing. Will post it some other time.
Now coming to the recipe,

Ingredients:

For Batter:

Besan or Gram flour - 1 cup,
Rice flour - 1 table spoon,
Salt,
Turmeric powder - a pinch,
Red Chilly Powder - 1 teaspoon,
Cooking Soda or soda Bi carbonate - a pinch,
Water.

For Stuffing:
Potato - 2 medium,
Oil - 1 teaspoon,
Mustard - 1/2 teaspoon,
Asafoetida - a pinch,
Chana Dal - 1/2 teaspoon,
Green Chillies - 2-3 finely chopped,
Curry leaves - 6-8 leaves chopped,
Turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon,
Lemon juice - 2 teaspoon,
Chopped Coriander - 1 teaspoon,
Salt.
Oil for frying.



Method:
Boil potatoes with salt.
Once cooked, peel the skin and mash them and keep aside.
In a pan heat oil. Add mustard and asafoetida.
Add chana dal and fry until light brown.
Add green chillies and curry leaves.
Add turmeric powder.
Add cooked and mashed potato.
Mix well and adjust the salt.
Remove from heat and add lemon juice and coriander.
Mix well and keep aside to cool.
Meantime  mix all the ingredients under the batter table to make a thick batter.
Heat oil for frying.
Make balls of potato mixture to medium size balls.
To make sure oil is properly heated, check by dropping very little batter into the oil.
If the batter comes up immediately, then it is ready to fry.
Dip potato balls in the batter, take care to coat the potato balls very well, drop in the oil slowly.
Turn the heat to medium and fry the bondas all round to even brown colour by occasionally turning them.
Drain excess oil on a tissue paper and enjoy with chutney and coffee or tea.

Note:
Take care the batter to be thick, otherwise it might not coat the potato balls evenly.
If you wish, you can add 1 medium onion chopped before adding potato.
Fry until soft and then add potato.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment